Summer Series: Memorial Day

May 30, 2016, by Deena @Shoes to Shiraz






Last week Sarah kicked off the Summer Series with her favorite summer meal.  If you missed it, you should definitely check it out!
 

 

Today I have the opportunity to share something that says "summer" to me, and it just so happens to be Memorial Day. 
image source
Traditionally, it seems that Memorial Day is used to kick off the summer season, because many of us find ourselves with a three- or four-day weekend.  But a long weekend isn't the only reason Memorial Day is important.
 

I like to remind my children what Memorial Day isn't, because it seems that the day's highest meaning seems to be lost.

It isn't just another day off from work or school.  

It isn't a day to sit fuming with road rage trying to get home after the first getaway of the summer.

It definitely isn't a day to get a good deal on a mattress.  

Memorial Day, originally called Decoration Day, is a hallowed day in the United States.  

Today is a solemn day for us to remember the service and the ultimate sacrifice of our Nation's fallen heroes.

For me, it's a challenge to think of anything more to say about summer on a day I view with great reverence.  I racked my brain to come up with something to share and finally decided that one of my favorite things about summer is the chance to read with abandon.  

I've seen plenty of lists of lighthearted books, or "the best beach reads."  Personally, I prefer reading non-fiction books, especially history books.  This summer I'll be curling up with a few books that are worthy of sharing with you today. 



Poole details the history of Arlington's 624 acres, created at the end of the Civil War, as well as the time-honored traditions and rituals in a place where every tombstone tells a story of how we honor the fallen heroes. 


This book is on my book shelf as both hardback and paperback copies.  You can either take that as I have so many books I forget what I have, or that it's a great book to read.  Or perhaps both.  This book is only 285 pages long but is an intense and engaging story of valor and heroism. 

The Guns of August by Barbara W. Tuchman

This book has been on my reading list for a little while and I'm determined to read it this summer.  The book is a Pulitzer Prize-winning classic, published in 1962, about the outbreak of World War I.  It's been recommended to me a couple of times, so I'm looking forward to finally tackling it.


This is another book I've been meaning to read for quite some time.  I've heard some mixed reviews about this one, but for all I've heard, the story is captivating, and as the title says, extraordinary. 

It remains to be seen if I can get through all four of these books this summer.  At a minimum, I'll try to read through the three I haven't read yet and fit in Kershaw's book again if time permits.

I know my choices aren't typical lighthearted summer reading, so I'd love to hear what you're reading this summer.  


Joy blogs at quilty joyjoy and shares quilting tips, tricks, and tidbits at Wild Prairie Design Studio.  Joy is a regular contributor for The Blended Blog.  She dreams in fabric scraps, is fueled by too much coffee, and has a propensity for buying more books than she can possibly read in a lifetime.

0 comments

Instagram

FOLLOW US @ INSTAGRAM>