New Year, New Closet

January 25, 2016, by Deena @Shoes to Shiraz



Ever look into your packed closet and think, "I have nothing to wear?" I get that feeling all the time and part of the problem is there is just so much stuff in there. I'm going to guess that I'm not the only one that has a goal of getting their closet in tip top shape this year. Today I'll share the steps that I'll be taking to clean up my closet.

new-year-new-closet
  1. Sort it out: I plan to start by pulling out items that fit two extremes: for-sure keep and for-sure toss/donate. The for-sure keep items are ones that I wear on a regular basis. The for-sure toss items are ones that I know without a doubt either don't fit or just don't fit my style anymore. After all of the for-sure items are pulled out, you are left with the maybes.
  2. Deal with the maybes: This will likely be the hardest part of the entire ordeal. These items are all ones that that you like, but don't love. Or maybe you love the print, but the fit isn't quite right.
    1. Try it on: An unpleasant time, but you have to know if an item actually fits well. If it doesn't, why are you keeping it?
    2. Create outfits: Now that you know an item fits, can you make more than one outfit from it? If it is a one hit wonder, that is probably why it is in your maybe pile. While there is no problem with one hit wonders (I have a few), be sure that you love it. You don't want a closet full of items that you can only wear one way. The exercise of creating outfits will also get your creative juices flowing, so it is a win-win!
    3. Do you love it? Or at least really really like it. If you have tried it on and created outfits but still are not sure on an item, it is probably time to let it go. Sometimes we collect items that we like, but it just doesn't mesh well with your lifestyle. Or maybe it just isn't you. Items like this maybe don't go in the toss pile right away, but you might put them in a "save" pile. This pile shouldn't go back into your closet. Rather, put it in storage for a month or so. If after awhile you find yourself missing an item, go back and get it out of storage. If you have completely forgotten about the item, move it to the toss pile.
  3. Organize. Organize. Organize: Now that you have purged your closet of the excess items, its time to organize it. How you do it is up to you. Maybe you do my colors. Or by type (think jeans, button ups, sweaters). Do what is best for you and your space.
  4. Put yourself on a spending frost. Or if you are really ambitious (and have lots of willpower) put yourself on a spending freeze. I don't have the willpower for an entire freeze, but I can do a frost. I think of a frost and I'm not going to run out and buy all the things, but I can still get an item that I love or need to replace. I also try to be very deliberate in my shopping. I'll ask myself; does it fit well? Can I make lots of outfits with it? Does it fill a gap that I have in my closet? Plus I always look for coupons or try to wait until an item is on sale. By putting yourself on a frost/freeze, it forces you to "shop your closet." Put to use all those great outfits that you put together when deciding on whether to keep items.
Will you be doing a closet clean out soon? What tips do you have for cleaning out closets?


Alison blogs at Puppies & Pretties and is a regular contributor for The Blended Blog.  In her spare time she loves to play with her dogs, read a ridiculous amount, and do anything sports related.

0 comments

Instagram

FOLLOW US @ INSTAGRAM>