Featured on Friday

November 27, 2015, by Deena @Shoes to Shiraz

Today, we are featuring Joy from Quilty JoyJoy
You can take a peak into her world on Instagram

1. What would you consider your greatest accomplishment and why?
I had trouble with this question, so I asked my son what my greatest accomplishment was.  He said that my greatest accomplishment is my military service.  I definitely am glad that I had the opportunity to serve my country and very proud to be a Veteran, but all in all, my greatest accomplishment is raising two wonderful children as a single mother living with multiple sclerosis (MS). 

2. What is your greatest unfulfilled ambition?
My greatest unfulfilled ambition is to find a quiet piece of land with a water view, throw a rocking chair or two on my porch, plant a garden, and build a quilting studio.  It would be a little piece of heaven on earth and my refuge from the stressful world.

3. How would you describe yourself in 3 words?
determined, loving, generous

4. What is something that people might be surprised to know about you?
People might be surprised that I drive a vehicle modified with hand controls because of bilateral foot drop, a symptom of MS.  I sometimes try to use the foot control pedal on my sewing machine, and I am instantly reminded of why I don't operate a motor vehicle with my feet!

5. What hobbies do you have other than blogging?
I love quilting, reading, front porch sitting, and cooking for my family and friends.  I enjoy watching football and tailgating.

6. What inspired you to start blogging?
I had just finished graduate school and I was at a loss for what to do in all the free time I suddenly had.  I wanted to work on designing quilt patterns, so I started trying to learn about blogging.  I mistakenly thought I was signing up for a monthly plan for BlueHost, but ended up paying one or two years in advance, so I decided I was all in.  

7. What has been the biggest challenge with blogging?  What has been the most rewarding outcome of blogging?
My biggest challenge with blogging is having consistency with posting.  I tend to go periods of time where I don't feel like I have anything to say, or I'd just rather be working on a quilting project. 

The most rewarding outcome of blogging has been the opportunity to meet and link up with others and I've had the opportunity to design a quilt for a blog hop.  I've stepped out of my comfort zone and allowed myself to try new things.

8. What is your style “uniform”?
My style "uniform" would have to be jeans, a tank top or long-sleeved tee, a plaid button-down shirt, and cowboy boots.  I rarely deviate from this!

9. What is your favorite style season (fall, spring, summer, winter) and why?
I love the fall because I like layering my clothing and I love sitting outside in the cool, crisp autumn air. 

10. Which fashion trend do you currently love?
I am really bad at following trends.  I tend to stick with items I know and love.  I've learned that when I try to follow trends, the items I purchase don't get used and find their way to a second-hand store.

11. What is your best beauty trick?
I'd have to say my best beauty trick is just to smile because it exudes confidence and joy.

12. Do you like to dine-out or stay-in and cook dinner?  And, what is your favorite meal or restaurant?
I like to dine-out at times, but most of the time, I'd prefer to stay in and cook dinner.  My favorite meals are comfort foods like soups and stews and warm crusty bread (with lots of butter) served with red wine, and a pie at the ready for dessert. 

13. What is your favorite (or dream) vacation destination?
My favorite vacation destination is Lake Tahoe.  Anywhere I can sit and view water and the majesty of God's creation, I find rest and recharge my soul.

14. Do you enjoy gardening, sewing, decorating, painting or photography? What is your latest project?
I am a quilter, so I always have dozens of projects going at one time.  Most of my latest projects have been mini art quilts.

15. What is your ideal date night?

My ideal date night is curling up on the couch with a quilt in front of the fireplace, opening a fantastic bottle of red wine, having dinner ready and waiting in a slow cooker, and watching football. 

0 comments

Instagram

FOLLOW US @ INSTAGRAM>